- Jan, 2018: During my stay in Telefonica, I worked on research problem of mining human activity pattern and clustering users from 10TB/day Dataset, then leverage the outcome to solve business problem.
- Sep, 2017: Our project uStash is the winner of 2017 NASSCOM IT Technical Innovation Award. Find Judge’s citation Here.
- Aug, 2017: Paper accepted in DSAA’17. With data collected during Kumamoto earthquake, we show how a spatio-temporal LSTM deep neural network outperforms existing regressive modes(i.e. ARIMA & SVR) for crowd density estimation in a highly dynamic and disruptive scenario. The result could help improve disaster management and relief.
- Apr, 2017: I serve as TPC member of Ubicomm’17, ICT-DM’17 and ICSNC’17 . I am attending PAM’17 held in Sydney and WWW’17 in Perth. Our paper in IWSC is 1 of Three Selected Papers for WWW Journal Recommendation.
- Feb, 2017: We have two papers accepted in Elsevier Computer Communication (comcom) and Social Computing workshop (co-located with WWW’17).
- Dec, 2016: My paper in collaboration with NII received the best paper award in ICT-DM. The acceptance ratio is 35%, and we are nominated from all 26 accepted papers. http://ict-dm2016.ait.ac.at/
I am a Ph.D student in school of EET from UNSW (supervised by Prof. Aruna Seneviratne & Dr. Kanchana Thilakarathn), and affiliated with Data61, CSIRO. I am a computer science student with strong analytic skills, solid engineering background, and experience in handling and analysing large datasets using advanced data analysis and data mining tools.
I am experienced in applying machine/deep learning models on real-world problems, and I also have interest in quantitative analysis on finance/investing as well as related modelling. My PhD is in the area of improving mobile system performance exploiting human behaviour and context [Abstract].
- I received B.E. with First Class Honours in Telecommunications from the USYD, Australia in 2014.
- My thesis was done externally and supported by Network Research Group in National ICT Australia (NICTA).
- Rich Experience in academic/industry research labs in Europe, Japan and Australia;
- Telefonica R&D, Spain (Sep-Dec, 2017) (advised by Dr. Alessandro Finamore)
- Mobile traffic/user behaviour characterization and modelling
- National Institute of Informatics, Japan (Jan-July, 2016) (advised by Prof. Yusheng Ji)
- Data-driven projects in mobile content distribution and disaster preparation and response.
- National ICT Australia (Oct 2013-Feb 2015), Australia. (with Prof Aruna Seneviratne, Prof Mahbub Hassan, Prof. Dali Kaafar)
- Mobile Content Distribution
- Mobile Energy Efficiency
- Mobile Privacy
- Telefonica R&D, Spain (Sep-Dec, 2017) (advised by Dr. Alessandro Finamore)
- Experience working with large, often messy, datasets, with a focus on Mobile Data (i.e. Teleco Network Dataset; Multimedia dataset; Geographical data and User App/Behaviour Dataset etc). Experience in Python, Linux, Cloud Computing.
- I have broad research interests include but not limited to;
- Mobile Content Distribution, Mobile Computing
- Applied Data Mining and Machine Learning
- Data-Driven system performance & User Modelling.
- Focused on Spatial-Temporal data and User behaviours.
Outside of research, I am in the process of building a start-up company which utilizes deep learning and NLP algorithms to provide English students with access to instantaneous and quality feedback.
I also worked at UNSW Innovation in collaboration with Business Development Managers on assessing new technologies and managing the commercialisation process. Typically includes;
- Patent & Technical Review
- Early Commercial Assessment (Commercial viability of new inventions)
- Marketing Assessments and identifying potential licensees
I also enjoy travelling and photography, if your are interested in the photos I have taken Link.
Find my current CV_2018Apr.
- TPC member of
- I have been reviewer for papers in
- Conference: IMC’16, ICC’16, PIMRC’16, DSAA’17, PAM’17, WoWMoM’18
- Journals: Transaction on Multimedia, Transaction on Mobile Computing, Internet Computing, Transactions on Internet and Information Systems.
Awards & Honors:
- 2017 · Telefonica R&D PhD fellowship Award.
- 2017 · Winner of NASSCOM IT Technical Innovation Award (1 Australia wide)
- 2016 · Best Paper Award ICT-DM’16
- 2016-2017 · National Institute of Informatics (NII) Intern Award (2 recipients)
- 2015-2016 · UNSW PRSS Travel Grant
- 2015-2018 · RTP scholarship
- 2015-2018 · NICTA (Data61) enhanced Ph.D. scholarship (<5% success rate)
- 2013-2014 · NICTA summer scholarship
- 2013 · NICTA summer intern Prize winner
- 2012-2015 · High Performance Certificate in 2nd/3rd/4th year Advanced Engineering & Advanced Engineering Certificate (USYD)
- 2014 · USYD Tutor Training Certificate
Ph.D in Telecommunications (2015-Present)
The University of New South Wales, Australia
- F. Jiang, K. Thilakarathna, S. Mrabet, M. Ali Kaafar, A. Seneviratne, “uStash: a Novel Mobile Content Delivery System for Improving User QoE in Public Transport,” [PDF]
- K. Thilakarathna, F. Jiang, S. Mrabet, M. Ali Kaafar, A. Seneviratne, G.Xie “Crowd- Cache: Leveraging on Spatio-Temporal Correlation in Content Popularity for Mobile Networking in Proximity,” Elsevier Computer Communication, 2017. (Impact Factor~2.099) [PDF]
- F. Jiang, E. Zarepour, M. Hassan, A. Seneviratne, and P. Mohapatra, “Type , Talk , or Swype : Characterizing and Comparing Energy Consumption of Mobile Input Modalities,” Pervasive and Mobile Computing, 2015. (Impact Factor~1.719) [PDF]
- F.Jiang, L.Zhong, K. Thilakarathna, A.Seneviratne, K.Takano, S.Yamada, Y.Ji, “Supercharging Crowd Dynamics Estimation in Disasters via Spatio-Temporal Deep Neural Network” in The 4th IEEE International Conference on Data Science and Advanced Analytics (DSAA’17) [PDF]
- F.Jiang, K. Thilakarathna, M. Hassan, Y.Ji and A. Seneviratne. “Efficient Content Distribution in DOOH Advertising Networks Exploiting Urban Geo-Social Connectivity,”(IWSC17) in WWW ’17: 26th International World Wide Web Conference Companion. [PDF]
- F. Jiang, Z. Liu, K. Thilakarathna, Z. Li, Y. Ji, A. Seneviratne. “TransFetch: A Viewing Behavior Driven Video Distribution Framework in Public Transport,”in The 41th IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN’16)(Dubai, UAE) (Core Rank A) [PDF]
- F. Jiang, K.Thilakarathna, S. Mrabet and M. A. Kaafar, “uDrop: Pushing Drop-Box to the Edge of Mobile Network,” in 2016 IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications Demonstrations. (Core Rank A*)[PDF]
- L.Zhong, K.Takano, F.Jiang, X.Wang, Y.Ji and S.Yamada”. “Spatio-Temporal Data-Driven Analysis of Mobile Network Availability During Natural Disasters,” in International Conference on Information and Communication Technologies for Disaster Management, IEEE (ICT-DM’16). [Best Paper Award] [Acceptance rate: 35%][PDF]
- F. Jiang, E. Zarepour, M. Hassan, A. Seneviratne, and P. Mohapatra, “When to type, talk, or swype: Characterizing energy consumption of mobile input modalities,” in Pervasive Computing and Communications (PerCom’15), 2015 IEEE International Conference on, pp. 114–122, March 2015. (Core Rank A*)( Acceptance rate: 8%)[PDF]
- F. Jiang, K. Thilakarathna, M. A. Kaafar, F. Rosenbaum, and A. Seneviratne, “A spatio-temporal analysis of mobile internet traffic in public transportation systems: A view of web browsing from the bus,” in Proceedings of the 10th ACM MobiCom Workshop on Challenged Networks, CHANTS ’15, (Paris, France), pp. 37–42, ACM, 2015. [PDF]
- S. Seneviratne, F. Jiang, M. Cunche, and A. Seneviratne, “SSIDs in the Wild: Extracting Semantic Information from WiFi SSIDs,” in The 40th IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN’15), (Clearwater Beach, Florida, United States), Oct. 2015. (Core Rank A) [PDF]
- K. Thilakarathna, F. Jiang, S. Mrabet, M. A. Kaafar, A. Seneviratne, and P. Mohapatra, “Demo: Crowd-cache–popular content for free,” in Proceedings of the 12th annual international conference on Mobile systems, applications, and services, (Mobisys’14), pp. 358–359, ACM, 2014. [PDF]